Updated: Oct 16
Preserving your family history and leaving a legacy for future generations is important! Icelandic Roots is making it easy for people of Icelandic ancestry across the globe to have access to a unique database and a variety of inspirational and educational community opportunities. The Icelandic Roots volunteers work together to educate others and preserve our unique story. With the "Cousins Across the Ocean" project, we can keep our family connections strong and improve the ties across generations around the globe.
IF you missed the live, Member-Only events, you can receive access to the recorded presentations - so join now and gain access to all the IR Member-Only content!
Happening Now - New Presentations
The Icelandic Roots Writing and Genealogy Teams offer a 3-part series
1. 28 Sep 2022 – What IF…? Our Icelandic heritage provides us with all kinds of “what if” questions to answer in a wide variety of possible genres. This class by Sharron Arksey, Writing Team Manager, will help you begin. This session was recorded and you can find it in our Members Only YouTube playlist. The link is in the 08 Oct Member Newsletter.
2. 11 Oct 2022 – Become an Icelandic Roots Sleuth! October’s “Tuesday Tips” Genealogy Seminar is led by Sunna Olafson Furstenau, IR President. We will discover various tools and research tips for Writing Your Family Story. Three links to previous sessions are in the 08 Oct Member Newsletter:
- Finding Icelandic Family in Newspapers
- Unlocking Your Ancestors' Emigration Story
- Icelandic Roots Parish and Census Records Tutorial
3. 16 Nov 2022 – Memoir Writing: We believe your life story is important and it deserves to be written down as a legacy. Join the IR Writing Team as they will provide suggestions, tips, and how-tos specifically related to memoir writing. Watch for more writing classes and opportunities in the future.
Dave Jonasson, IT Director, offers his 4-part Icelandic Roots Database series Oct 20 & 27 and Nov 3 & 10
20 Oct 2022 - Sign up before October 18th for IT Director, Dave Jonasson's In-Depth Genealogy Database Course. Do you use the Icelandic Roots genealogy database but want to learn to unlock more of the data inside it? Dave Jonasson, IT director, will be presenting a 4-week series on finding all the information in the database. This is the fifth time this series has been offered with much success and many happy IR Members.
To register: Members Only - Please email firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE October 18th and you will be sent a link before the first class.
The IR Database is much more than names and dates.
Your family history is important. The stories, photos, documents, maps, and more add depth and keep their story alive. One member recently asked us to translate the obituary of her great-grandfather. She knew his life was tragic but the obituary, written in Icelandic, told more of the story. She was able to learn about his generosity, kindness, lifetime work, and more about how he had lived his life. Her journey has been phenomenal and she is overjoyed with the work of our dedicated and expert volunteer genealogy team.
We are searching for family stories especially on Women and Children, Military, Emigration Stories, Settlement Stories, and more. Please send them to email@example.com along with at least one photo and your story may be featured in an upcoming newsletter.
Icelandic Roots members have access to a growing genealogy database and many other membership opportunities. If you are a supporting member – Thank You! If you are not a member yet – please come and join us. We hope everyone will make sure your family is included in the database. To participate in this FREE service, fill in the "Cousins Across the Ocean" form.
See all Member Benefits at THIS LINK.
To see all upcoming events and more information, see the IR Event Calendar. The Zoom links for Member Events are sent by email the day before each event.