top of page

Manitoba Settlements: Argyle and Swan River

By Sharron Arksey


Icelandic settlements spread outside beyond the area of New Iceland over the course of time. Many continued north and west. This article looks at two other areas of Manitoba. Argyle, where the early settlers felt they had arrived in Paradise and yet some of them left, and Swan River. Sharron explores the early days for the settlers, their communities and how they have evolved.



ARGYLE


There is a story about an Icelandic immigrant who, in 1880, travelled from Gimli to what

is now the Rural Municipality of Argyle in southwestern Manitoba.


“Paradise,” he said, looking at the gently rolling hills and forest greenery, and he decided

to stay.


He was not the only one. Many Icelandic settlers came to the area. Some became long-

term residents; others stayed a shorter time before once again moving. Buying a piece

of Paradise was out of reach for some.


Grund Frelsis Church. Photo: author.
Grund Frelsis Church. Photo: author.

They named their town Baldur for the Norse god of light and son of Odin. The town flourished and, when the railway came through in 1889, things got even better.


Religion and education were early priorities. By 1884, the first Lutheran congregation had been formed. The Grund Frelsis Church, constructed in 1889 by volunteers, is

recognized as the oldest standing Icelandic Lutheran church in Canada. Located about 5.5 miles north of Baldur, it got its name from a family farm owned by one of the area’s original residents. “Grund’ means ‘grassy plain” and ‘frelsis’ means freedom or liberty.




Bru Frikirkju Lutheran Church. Photo: author
Bru Frikirkju Lutheran Church. Photo: author


But there were no automobiles in those days, and road conditions were poor.

Congregation members living further away did not find it easy to get to church every Sunday. So, a second church was built in 1910 about 10 miles northwest of Baldur. This church was named Bru Frikirkju Lutheran Church. Bru means bridge, and this church was also named after a farm of that name in the area.









The Grund church no longer has regular services but opens at special times of the year such as Easter, as well as for an annual Pack the Pews mid-summer service. This year’s Pack the Pews service is scheduled for Sunday, August 16. Offerings are donated to a specified charity each year. In 2026, donations go to Sara’s Pantry, a community food bank program located in nearby Glenboro.


Regular services were held at Bru Church until 1984. After 1985, only weddings,

funerals, and special services were held at the Bru church, with the last one held at

Christmas 1990. The church was moved to a new location, two miles south of Cypress

River, in August 1997, and later that year became a municipally designated heritage

site. It was repurposed as a community hall, a restaurant and banquet venue called

Cafe Bru until 2014 and later operated as a Bed & Breakfast for a time.


The Hecla School District was established formally in November 1884, and a one-room school building was erected. Until 1889, classes were held only during the summer because poor roads made winter travel difficult if not impossible. At the time, there were 120 students enrolled at the school and both adults and children attended. In 1897, a second school was built at the site, and the original school building was sold for use as a Methodist church. The school closed in January 1959, and the building was sold and dismantled. A commemorative monument was unveiled on 19 July 1992.


In a 1902 article in the Baldur Gazette (author unknown), the paper stated “The

Icelanders are staunch Protestants and the most loyal, innocent, pure-minded people in

the world. Crime, theft, debauchery and cruelty are almost unknown among them, and

as a people they are lovable and hospitable".


Since Icelanders are as human as anyone else, these are superlatives that would not

stand up to much scrutiny. But it is an indication of how well regarded these settlers

were.


As everywhere, the predominance of Icelandic culture faded as time went by, but the

Baldur area remains interested in its heritage. The Argyle Museum features Icelandic

exhibits and artifacts displaying the area’s past, and Baldur community residents

participate in activities of the Icelandic Club of Western Manitoba out of Brandon.



SWAN RIVER


Located about 500 km (310 miles) northwest of Winnipeg, the town of Swan River lies in

a valley between the Duck Mountains and the Porcupine Hills near to the Saskatchewan

border and today has a population of about 4,000.


The Swan River district began to attract Icelandic settlers in the late 1890s. A fairly large

contingent arrived from the Argyle area in southern Manitoba, but others came from The Narrows, Churchbridge, Keewatin, Winnipegosis, Brandon, and Winnipeg. They were

attracted by the fertile soils and agricultural promise of the area. They were also

searching for farmland that could be purchased at a reasonable price. By this time, most

of the homesteads promised to the Icelanders had been spoken for and other land was

often too expensive.


Icelanders named the valley Álftárdalurinn (Swan Valley) because of the landscape and

local wildlife. At the time, trumpeter swans bred near the lake which the Swan River fed

into, although nowadays the species is locally extinct.


Swan River, MB business area 1909. Photo sourced www.prairietowns.com
Swan River, MB business area 1909. Photo sourced www.prairietowns.com

Over the next twenty-five years, approximately 40 Icelandic families settled in the Swan

River area. They were scattered throughout the region, some living ten to 20 miles west

of the village, others ten miles to the northeast. Despite this, they were able to establish

a Lutheran congregation, two women’s societies and a community library.


In the summer months, services were provided by visiting ministers from other parts of

the province, including such well-known names as Pastor Steingrímur N. Þorláksson, the son of Pastor Paul Thorlaksson, Pastor Guttormur Guttormsson and

Pastor Jóhann Bjarnason.


In 1917, Icelandic settlers west of Swan River built a log community hall, later adding a

kitchen. The building was used mostly for social events and was well utilized during the

following decade. In 1927, it was sold to the United Church and then eventually to the

Swan River School District.


While working hard to preserve their language and culture, the Icelanders also were active in the broader culture of their community. Current day residents with Icelandic

connections have fully integrated themselves into the community.


Fairdale Cemetery, Swan River, MB. Photo sourced from author.
Fairdale Cemetery, Swan River, MB. Photo sourced from author.

Many of the Icelandic settlers were buried in the Fairdale Cemetery established in 1913.

Land for the cemetery was donated by Johann Laxdal, an Icelander who farmed that

quarter.

Email us your questions or join the conversation on our Facebook Group.

bottom of page